Identifying and assess pupils with SEND?
In school we use a variety of different ways to assess whether a child or young person has special educational needs. Some of these ways include:
- School based test results
- Information from parents and carers
- Information from the child or young person
- Specialised assessments carried out by members of the school’s support services
- Information from previous schools or settings
- Results from end of key stage assessments
- Discussions with adults who work with the child or young person
Once a child or young person is identified as having a special educational need, a graduated approach to support is taken. The child or young person’s needs will first be assessed, then support will be planned, carried out and then reviewed. At the review any necessary changes will be made.